Susan G. Komen New Orleans


Komen New Orleans is dedicated to combating breast cancer. Up to 75% of our net income goes toward funding grants to local hospitals and organizations that provide breast health education, screening and treatment programs for medically underserved women. The remaining 25% supports the national Komen Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, educational and scientific programs. Our Bold Goal: Reduce current number of breast cancer deaths by 50% in the U.S. by 2026.

Show All
Category:Health
Website:http://www.komenneworleans.org
Parish:Jefferson
Our community need:
The Komen New Orleans service area covers 8 parishes: Jefferson, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. John the Baptist, St. Tammany, and Washington. Since 75% of Komen New Orleans proceeds funds local programs and hospitals, Komen New Orleans conducts a needs assessment to guide our priorities and work more effectively within the community. The needs assessment includes an overview of demographic and breast cancer statistics that highlight target areas, groups or issues. Komen New Orleans then uses the needs assessment to make informed decisions on how the Affiliate can use its resources to make the greatest impact on breast cancer in the area through the awarding of local grants for education, screening and treatment programs. Funding for local grants is then aligned with the most significant needs in the community. Please visit our website to view more information about our current community needs assessment and profile report.

Through the grant-making process, we are able to fund multiple different projects throughout New Orleans benefitting all people regardless of race, income, geographic location, sexual orientation or insurance status. Currently, we are funding seven local grant projects, totaling $425,000 that will provide breast health and breast cancer services to thousands of low-income and uninsured women in our community. Although this positive funding is significant, it is still not enough - as the need in our community continues to grow.