Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse for Greater New Orleans (CADA)
CADA empowers community members to build a safe and healthy future through prevention, treatment, and recovery support services that foster resilience and well-being. We envision a thriving Greater New Orleans where every person fulfills their potential, free from the impact of addiction and traumatic experiences.
• Prevention Education Modules in Elementary, Middle, and High School: CADA provides prevention services to schools throughout Greater New Orleans through 10-week modules that teach the specific effects and consequences of alcohol and drug abuse and incorporate decision making and life skills training. The modules use the research-based and nationally approved curriculum Too Good for Drugs.
• Project Reconnect Re-Entry Program: CADA counselors provide comprehensive case management services to re-entering citizens and their families, including job readiness, trauma coping skills, mental and primary healthcare referrals, coordination of legal issues; and they work hand-in-hand with substance abuse treatment providers to see their clients through the rehabilitation process.
• Project Uplift Program: As with our reentry program, CADA counselors provide comprehensive support services for individuals who are engaged in substance abuse treatment. This program is open to all qualified individuals, but the outreach is specifically targeted toward supporting minorities at high risk for HIV.
• Community Presentations: CADA provides one time presentations concerning alcohol and drug abuse for children, youth, and adults in a variety of settings including faith-based organizations, community associations, and schools.
• Summer Camp Programs: CADA provides education and awareness activities regarding alcohol and drug abuse to children and youth in Orleans parish summer camp programs.
• Hispanic Programs: CADA builds the capacity of the Hispanic community to address the issues related to alcohol and drug abuse and other high-risk behaviors. Our Bilingual Prevention Educator delivers substance abuse educational presentations and support group modules in local schools and community-based organizations.
• DWI Program: CADA provides driver safety and alcohol and drug abuse education emphasizing choices and consequences to individuals arrested for DWI.
• Assessment and Informational/Referral Services: CADA counselors provide clients with assessment of alcohol and/or drug abuse problems using the evidence-based and highly regarded Addiction Severity Index (ASI), and refer them to specific options for treatment.
• Project Transition Behavioral Health Education Program: CADA provides pre-release education groups that focus on job and social skills, substance abuse and anger management for inmates of the Coleman Correctional Facility.
• Substance Abuse Education - Adult and Adolescent Classes: CADA provides in-depth, comprehensive information and education to adults and adolescents who are experiencing problems with alcohol and/or drugs. Primarily, the courts and the schools refer participants, while some are self-referred.
"My CADA counselor provided me a gateway to things I didn't know I could get, like mental health services.My counselor guided me to O'Brien House (a sober living home in Baton Rouge) and showed me that I have other options." - Project Reconnect client Larry